ARC REVIEW: The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine #1) by James Dashner

Title: The Eye of Minds
Series: The Mortality Doctrine #1
Author: James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: October 8, 2013
Pages: 323, Hardcover
Source: Library, Audiobook

Michael is a gamer. And like most gamers, he almost spends more time on the VirtNet than in the actual world. The VirtNet offers total mind and body immersion, and it’s addictive. Thanks to technology, anyone with enough money can experience fantasy worlds, risk their life without the chance of death, or just hang around with Virt-friends. And the more hacking skills you have, the more fun. Why bother following the rules when most of them are dumb, anyway?

But some rules were made for a reason. Some technology is too dangerous to fool with. And recent reports claim that one gamer is going beyond what any gamer has done before: he’s holding players hostage inside the VirtNet. The effects are horrific—the hostages have all been declared brain-dead. Yet the gamer’s motives are a mystery.

The government knows that to catch a hacker, you need a hacker.
And they’ve been watching Michael. They want him on their team.
But the risk is enormous. If he accepts their challenge, Michael will need to go off the VirtNet grid. There are back alleys and corners in the system human eyes have never seen and predators he can’t even fathom—and there’s the possibility that the line between game and reality will be blurred forever.


I think the VirtNet technology sounded pretty awesome and I could see having a technology like this in the distant future. I also imagine it would end up corrupted in some way. 

I thought I had the ending figured out. Turns out, I didn't. So bonus points for the surprise. 


There were so many things I didn't like about this book I don't really know where to begin. I apologize if this reads a little disorderly.... 

I think the single-minded focus of the book bothered me the most. After a somewhat rushed beginning, this entire book is focused on Michael, Byrson, and Sarah following a dangerous virtual pathway that led to the Hallowed Ravine and to Kaine. It was just one virtual simulation with some kind of danger after another. The only focus, the only goal, was to keep going. I got bored of this real fast because I didn't find it all that exciting or suspenseful.

We are given NOTHING in terms of character development. And I mean NOTHING. I literally felt nothing for these characters. In fact, I probably would have thought it a blessing had they all died and the book ended 100 pages sooner. 

Several other little things added up. Like how I can't decide what was worse - the writing or the plot.

I can't even say the world building was good.
And where were all these other threats alluded to in the beginning? The other hackers sent on this task, Kaine, etc, who would do anything the make sure they didn't reach the end. Dun.. Dun.. no. 

And really? Is losing internet connection really worse than DEATH?! Just say NO. Sheesh.


*Long exacerbated sigh* I really hate being so negative but if I am anything, it is honest to a fault, and these are my uncensored feelings. I didn't care for The Maze Runner series but I wanted to give James Dashner another chance. I've concluded that I don't think his books are for me.

But maybe this book will work for others - if you like gaming and if you are just looking for a book with "action" and nothing else.
divider
Copyright © 2014 The Quiet Concert
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs